As we age, it becomes difficult to maintain a lean, toned midsection. Changes in metabolism, weight gain and loss, and pregnancy can result in stretched tissues and fat deposits that do not respond to diet or exercise. Dr. Bernard Kopchinski offers tummy tuck surgery at his San Antonio, TX, practice to tighten and tone your midsection. He can tailor a procedure to your specific needs and goals.
Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
Because a tummy tuck addresses several cosmetic issues at once, patients can enjoy a wide range of benefits from the procedure. A few of the cosmetic gains include:
- A more attractive figure: Tummy tucks create more desirable curves by tightening skin and muscle tissue and removing excess fat.
- Boosted confidence: A sagging or protruding belly can be a source of self-consciousness, especially during the summer when wearing light clothing becomes the norm. A fitter-looking body can boost confidence and self-esteem.
- Tighter abs: Loose abdominal muscles contribute to the appearance of a sagging belly. That loosening is often the result of pregnancy. A tummy tuck can incorporate surgical tightening of abdominal muscles.
- A more youthful-looking physique: The results of a tummy tuck often have a powerful rejuvenating effect.
Because a tummy tuck addresses several cosmetic issues at once, patients can experience a wide range of benefits from the procedure.
Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?
Tummy tuck candidates should have realistic expectations for the procedure. For example, while the procedure will give you leaner contours, there will be some scarring. Dr. Kopchinski will take care to place the incisions in areas that are easily covered by clothing.
A tummy tuck is not a weight loss solution. Rather, it is a way to complement healthy lifestyle choices. During your consultation, Dr. Kopchinski will examine your medical history and inquire about your motivations for undergoing the procedure. It is important to arrive at your consultation with questions.
- Have a desire to tighten stretched skin around their waistline
- Be in good overall health
- Be completely finished having children
- Be near their ideal weight
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle after surgery
Tummy tuck candidates should not:
- Drink excessively
- Undergo the procedure to please someone else
What to Expect during a Tummy Tuck
Tummy tuck surgery can take up to several hours to complete. Once anesthesia has been administered, Dr. Kopchinski will make an incision in the lower abdominal area. During the procedure, Dr. Kopchinski can reposition your navel, remove excess fat through liposuction, and tighten abdominal muscles and remaining skin tissue. Finally, the incisions will be closed with sutures.
Tummy tuck surgery is an outpatient procedure. Following surgery, patients wear a post-operative compression garment for a prescribed period to help the tissues conform to their new contours. Dr. Kopchinski also advises his patients to sleep with their legs and back elevated for the first few days after surgery. Patients can usually return to work after about two weeks.
Contact Our Office Today to Learn More
Under the care of an experienced surgeon, tummy tucks are a safe and effective cosmetic procedure that can help you look and feel your best. To learn how Dr. Kopchinski can enhance your midsection, contact our office online or call (210) 255-1764.